Sunday, January 31, 2010

My reason for existence...

Everyone has a role model to look up to in some way or the other. And, I didn’t have to scale mountains, or run across green pastures or seek in to the dreary deserts to find one. I found my role model in my father.

He is one person who is ever ready to burn the midnight oil with me be it meeting a school deadline or preparing for a French oral exam on the following day. He has always been my pillar of strength that I could lean on either when I was filling in my university applications or facing the many teenage blues. What I admire in him is his patience with me and my moods. He is very understanding and at times when I test his tolerance, he doesn’t lose his cool, but just says a word or two. Those couple of words will suffice to make me realize the significance of priorities and values in my life.

I am closer to my father more than my mother. It is not that I suffer from a case of Electra complex, but, I feel I can share anything and everything with my father more easily and I trust his guidance. Many a time, I have relied on his hunches and valued highly his opinions on various issues. It makes me wonder, when I see my father and my younger brother together, was my father ever like this? His maturity, trustworthiness and assurance even create a doubt in me whether my father was ever a young, playful, carefree child.
He has made me discover the real me, through many penetrating questions and heart to heart chats. His touch of elegance in all the tasks he takes up, his right sense of humor at just the right moment make me emulate him. When I myself become a parent in the years to come, I wish I could be like him.

I feel words are inadequate to explain his significance in my life. He is important to me because he makes me believe in myself that I can do it. He encourages me to go that extra mile. If I am what I am today I owe it all to my dad. He knows my limitations and he drives me to do my best in what I am good at.

I am sure his presence will always play a positive part in my life. He has made me perceive my strong and weak points, and shaped in molding my character accordingly. He is my lighthouse guiding me to the safe shores.

No comments:

Post a Comment